Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blood and Oil

I understand that this movie was about war in the Middle East. For some reason I thought this film biased by a western point of view. Though it may be undetectable to myself, I didn't recognize a blatant bias from any point of view. The Middle East was the focus and the location of conflict but was careful not to only represent the views of Arab or Anglo historians. For that reason I think this film is a good choice in accurately representing historical events, a hard task for most forms of media to accomplish.

The part of the movie I liked the most was the the first half, where the Turkish empire fought against the British. Being an American I can sympathize the task before them, not submitting to the British despite impending death. I admired that they never backed down and they were able to defend their land as long as they did. I got the sense from the film that the Turks were fighting for every inch of their land and that their army was to be reckoned with. Both the Americans and the British thought they would not meet as much resistance as they did. Their power as a people is underestimated by western societies.

No comments: